This is a really nice little Charles Daly 12 bore gun weighing 6 3/4 lbs with 28" barrels. No markings on gun to indicate maker though it appears to be Prussian. Early gun, perhaps around 1871. Great wood and mechanically fine and original. Unfortunately it appears someone stored it in a fleece case and there is significant corrosion on the action, etc. but that's not the question I have.

A very old addition to the gun is a solid nickel scroll behind the trigger guard. It was neatly added by someone who knew what they were doing. They slightly filed 1/4" and 3/8" flats on the tang front and rear and secured it with brads.

I am debating whether to leave it as is or remove it. It's not really comfortable in the hand and just sort of interrupts the lines of the original straight wrist. If I do remove it the tang would show the little flats that were filed and the two holes, which I would plug.

In favor of leaving it as is would be the addition is very old, probably dating back to the 70's and is part of the gun's history. A quaint piece of Americana.

What say this august body? Leave it as is or remove it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Oh, it is a "mystery gun". Barrels were welded in Birmingham and carry only provisional proof. Tubes were joined by brazing. Nickel plating on all hardware appears original. Serial number of 15,251 on all metal parts would fit nicely with W. & C. Scott series. I dunno....parts sourced in England and assembled in Prussia?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)