I'm sure that this has probably been covered here before, but I could not find anything through the search, so humor me.

I've recently come into possession of an old Fox Sterlingworth with short (2 5/8") chambers according to the measuring tool at the shop I bought it at. It seems to have some of the heavier weight Fox barrels, since it was a good 1-2 pounds heavier, and had noticeably thicker barrels at the muzzle than the other beat up sterly next to it on the rack. From what I've researched, a lot of these older guns were purposely built with slightly shorter chambers, since the attitude at the time was a slightly longer shell would create a better gas seal.

Anyways, I have not been able to find any information concerning shooting modern 2 3/4" shells in these shorter chambers. By "modern" I mean using modern 2 3/4" plastic hulls with my standard low pressure load I use for the rest of my doubles. I just wanted to see if anyone shoots 2 3/4" shells out of 2 5/8" chambers, and if you could weigh in. If it was generally considered "safe" it would make my reloading a lot quicker, since I have thousands of 2 3/4" hulls and if I could shoot them safely, it would sure beat cutting down a few hundred hulls.