Doublenut;
The G grade was added to the Lefever line earlier than the H. It began as gun having Damascus bbls, with only line engraving around the Side Plates & little sunburst designs on screw heads & exposed ends. When the H was added it was virtually un-engraved & featured Twist barrels. At a later date a scroll design was added to the side plates of each grade with the H also receiving the sunburst on the screw ends. I do not own a late enough G to have the scroll, but as I recall from ones I have seen it has just a bit more in other places than does the H. Also at some point both grades were offered with steel barrels. If it has welded barrels then their composition is a strong indicator as to if its an H or G, but of course doesn't help much if they are steel. In either case the difference between the two are fairly minor.Both were good solid guns capable of giving many years of dependable service, true "American Classics".
PS; I won't say one doesn't exist but I have never seen a G with a dog or bird scene, only the scroll. Some fairly early F's had a single dog but most later ones have birds (Very early ones had little engraving). Dogs are most often seen on E grade & above

Last edited by 2-piper; 01/13/14 07:21 PM. Reason: added comment

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra