Originally Posted By: Mike Bonner
I'd like to know how anyone can get a double charge of powder into a 12 ga hull under a full load of shot. Or even a 50 % increase. Mike

Mike,

It might not be as hard to do as you think....

True story: I was at our local gun range this past Saturday shooting skeet. A new fellow to the range was there with a brand new Ruger Red Label in 12 ga. that his wife and a friend bought him as a recent retirement gift. He was shooting reloaded ammo put together by another friend with a press, as he didn't have one as yet. His loads sounded appreciably louder than those of the rest of the squad and were noticeably punching him pretty good which took some doing as he was about 6' 4" and approaching 300 lbs. ....IOW...a big boy!

He just shot the one box, on our recommendation, and I asked if he'd give me a couple of those loads for dissection, as I suspected an overload. He kindly did, we exchanged phone numbers, and I called him that same afternoon to tell him the following:

The 1-1/8 oz. loads (in Federal Top Gun case) contained a loosely fitting Win. WAA 12 wad and 25.1 grains of 700X powder. Lyman loading manual called for just 17.0 gr. of the stuff for 1175 fps and approx. 9400psi. for a 47% overload in his case....or very near one-half again the amount of powder than what was required. It all fit in the hull quite nicely with an average looking crimp.....so it can be done! He was pretty stunned to hear this and vowed he'd cut open the few remaining loads he had to salvage the components. I can only hope he did....

rob