McIntosh notwithstanding, there is nothing wrong with starting a kid on a .410 for wingshooting. My grandson, who has moved up to a LT 20 1100 now, shot a Stoeger Uplander .410 for three seasons on doves (very successfully), beginning at age 8. If he is 10 already, and is not sensitive to recoil or muzzle blast, the LT 20 would be great to start him on.

As to the safety issue, I strongly recommend a double, with an automatic safety. No pump or jammamatic has that. The automatic feature is not a necessity, but is an extra margin of safety for him until it is deeply ingrained to check the safety himself. I don't care for automatic safeties myself, but made sure my grandson's doubles had them.

The poor patterning of the .410 is terribly overexaggerated, IMO. If it weren't how could you explain this, a 9 yr. old with only two prior dove shoots under his belt, using 1/2 oz. loads? There is more to teaching a kid to hunt than teaching him to shoot. Judging when a dove is within .410 range is a great way to start, I think.

2010 season with the .410

2013 season with the LT 20

Not much difference is there?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.