Originally Posted By: gwsmith
My son has shot a BB gun for awhile but I'm ready to start him on a shotgun I think. I've been waiting until he was big enough to shoot a 20 gauge - as my personal opinion would be that a 410 doesn't really qualify as a true gun. But he's 10 years old and big enough to handle a 20 now I think.

I have gone back and forth on whether to buy him a double gun (O/U) or a single barrel gun. In terms of safety and ease of use - which do you think is better for a kid. I've always thought double guns were much safer in the field. However I could also start him on a pump with 1 or 2 shells at a time. Would like something he can use for a few years though. I'm going back and forth on this and just thought I'd get some other opinions from guys that have been there already.

I'm in the same boat and appreciate all the advice and experiences being shared here. My 10 year son has just graduated from an airgun to a .22, but I'm reluctant to move to a shotgun yet.

I bought a youth model NEF/H&R Pardner 20 ga. single shot, but having first fired it myself I feel it makes for a terrible "youth gun" because it kicks like a little mule. I won't let him shoot it until I've had a chance to load up and test some light rounds.

My reading on this subject has shown a common theme; that we tend to push our young ones to shoot too much gun before they are ready, then having to work to help them overcome their gun shyness.