Yes GLS. You are correct.
We burn a pallet of donated low recoil loads every year.
Hard to get the big 3 to donate 28's and 410's.

I view this question (since the young man isn't sitting here) as a statistical guess. What others do in their specific circumstances is perfect for them.

Our typical student is 12, now because of legislation, as young as 9. They can barely shoulder the shotgun. Weight forward semi's are impossible for the youngest. Taking any kind of comfortable stance with the shotgun is also difficult. It pretty much limits the "coaches" to the small single shot platforms with soft recoil pads.
But we focus on helping a child to "hit", hoping to kindle enthusiasm. We are always mindful that it must be fun and immediately rewarding.

This just an aside, but I often wonder if the underlying question for many people could be more accurately written as, "How do I help my child to become my hunting buddy?" It's a big and valid question, especially in non-custodial situations.

We look at it like, 1st it has to be immediate fun. 2nd, Daddy HAS TO SHOW PRIDE TOWARD THE YOUNGSTER'S ACCOMPLISHMENT.
3rd, Daddy has to offer the carrot that if you do well, you can come along with the guys. (Including all aspects of safety) Children have an innate desire to please. We rely on it to embed safe gun handling.
For many, those 3 things create a budding outdoor enthusiast, and a safe hunting buddy.

Recoil becomes a deep background issue.

Any of those pieces absent, probably not. YMMV

Out there doing it best I can.