i distinctly recall reading a story in Field & Stream by Babcock many years ago. I don't recall the name of it but has the same theme. In this one he described being away from home on buisness & being invited to go on a quail hunt, but hadn't brought a gun. A gun was borrowed which a local gent had been using as his Rabbit gun. This time it was definitely a Lefever. He virtually couldn't miss with it & persuaded the owner to sell it to him for an exorbitant price considering its somewhat ratty condition. After getting it home as he was cleaning it up he discovered it was the dreaded Damascus. He tried to use it some more telling himself it had been in use for all these years without blowing up, but couldn't hit the side of a barn with it any more. He "Confessed" that after each shot he stopped & counted his fingers. He then stated he put it in the cabinet with a note stating that on the given date he Killed x number of quail straight with this gun but never used it again. At the time I read this the only Lefever I was familiar with was the Ithaca built nitro Special so sort of wondered what was quite so Special about the Lefever. When I was introduced to a "Real Lefever" I Knew.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra