My experience mirrors what others have posted. As a child, we had a large farm with plenty of dove on it. Before I was old enough to hunt, I went along with my Father, Brother, Uncles, Cousins, and Grandfather. I recall a particular day when I was 12 and had a spare day to go shooting by myself. I had to rely on my Grandmother to take me out to the Farm and as I was getting gear together, she caught me taking a whole box of shells. This was anathema to her upbringing and she let me have a total of 12 shells for a days hunt. I took a limit of 10 dove that day with my Savage 311. I still think that was perhaps the finest bit of shooting I ever did. The last bird and last shot coincided, and while I've killed enough birds over the years to fill a warehouse, that last high crosser will be etched in my memory forever.

That said, after a season of heavy shooting, I went out on the last day of the year this past January with my best and oldest friend after quail. We put up a dozen covies and I actually ran out of shells before I ran out of birds, bringing a measly 4 quail home. I was shooting my favorite gun, but for whatever reason, I couldn't hit a thing. Regardless, that day with my best friend and our dogs will also be etched in my mind forever.

While I didn't directly answer the query of the OP, I will posit that it doesn't really matter how well a hunter shoots, it matters how well one hunts.

Rob.