Virginian,

My daughter graduated from Virginia Tech in December, 2001, so I raised a Hokie, although I'm not a Hokie myself. Ironically, she lived in Ambler-Johnston West her first year and spent her remaining years as a resident of Harper Hall, the dorm where this killer lived.

Other Hokies include my nephew, who graduated in 2000, and many of my friends growing up.

I live only 80 miles from Blacksburg. With my connections to the university I feel a very personal loss with these tragic events.

Governor Kaine said this event should not become a "hobby horse" for those special interests with an agenda to promote. Unfortunately, that's wishful thinking.

No amount of gun control can prevent the outburst of a maniac. That's the long and short of it.

We should all be aware, in 2002 when a deranged student tried a similar shooting at the Appalachian School of Law he was subdued by two students armed with personal firearms. What are the gun control freaks going to say about that????

Appalachian Shool of Law Shooting

The gun control people can't deny that. Your thesis is sound. If the victims in Ambler-Johnston West had been legally armed, or if other residents of that dorm had been so armed, this rampage might have been nipped in the bud.

Curl