I am 72: As a boy growing up in Nebraska in the 1950's; the shotgun every man owned was a 30 inch full by God choke. Any person who hunted with a Modified Choke was unusual, and probably believed to be some kind of sissy. We hunted Prairie Chickens, Pheasants & Ducks...we never saw geese.
I would bet that today, those guns hanging unused in the house are still 30 inch full choke Model 12's. Then, over time, the "Chicken" population dwindled, the Pheasants disappeared, and the ducks seem to have changed their flyway patterns. Now, as an old coot, living further east, I have been blessed to hunt doves, quail, and a few pen-raised pheasants, with an occasional trip to Winner, SD for pheasants.
I just don't shoot as good as a 30 year old guy, and over time, my choke selection has become more "open."
McIntosh probably overstated the cylinder case, but he hunted behind good bird dogs, and, I understand was a hell of a good shot. The pendulum swings.....but with modern ammo we no longer need a 30" full choke gun as we once did.
An old "Sissy."
Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle