Quote:
Looks to me like the advantage is the 4" itself, not the total area. How 'bout it Miller?

The allowable error of aim will be based on the radius of the pattern or how far it is from its center to the edge which still contains adequate density for a kill. Since the pattern diameters have been stated at 22" & 18" respectfully the permissible error of aim is half that or 11" vs 9" for a 2" difference.
In my humble opinion if one is getting a high percentage of more kills with a 22" spread than an 18" one they need to concentrate more on their shooting than finding a more open choke. As to the versatility I can't recall that I have ever shot a Spreader load in my entire life. At 15 yds about anything you can hit the bird with will kill it. You don't need to buy heavy loads or use Premium shot etc for this type of shooting. Also I do not go for super small shot for short range as that just puts an excessive number in what you shoot. A slight increase in shot size does not increase the mangling of the bird near as much as an increase in the number which hits it. There are only about 10 more pellets in 3/4oz of #8's than 1/2oz of #9's but the former is certainly a far more versatile load.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra