I'm still waiting to hear how a 20 with .000/.000 could work on 50+ yd crossers. Hevishot, maybe?

I sold most of my fixed cyl guns after attempting to eliminate WC and grouse sized holes at dead center of pattern past 20 yds with #7.5s. I managed 25 yds with the Miroku 28 by going with B&P 15/16 oz loads in their small #8 size.

Larry correctly notes you can push the envelope by using buffered baby mags. 20 ga WS1s usually have around .003 and that combination will get to around 30 yds in the field, IME. After that first box I never purchased another. Guess I don't really want to stuff 1.125 oz buffered loads in my 20s.

Still have a "cyl" M-12 20 that has .002. About the only use I have for it is to get kids off the ground shooting station 1 and 7 incomers with weenies. Even during the first week of Oct I have better options in the field. We can take grouse right up to Dec 31. A .000 20 is a just silly when the leaves are down up here. The birds know when I have one, and then I can bank on getting a 35-40 yd opportunity down a woods road. I consider that .010 16 discussed earlier a very good season-long choice.

Again, a .000 12 is a different beast, mostly on the basis of payload.

Sam