Thanks for the link to that article Wild Skies. I read a similar one years ago that used bare nails as the test medium and also came to the conclusion that good old Hoppes Gun Oil and plain old WD-40 were very good for general use and that RIG Gun Grease was excellent for long term storage. I've been using them with good results ever since. I find that regular WD-40 is excellent when used with 0000 steel wool for light rust removal and cleaning Damascus with a heavy enough patina (rust) to obscure the Damascus pattern. In fact, WD-40 will remove some of the blue on a fresh rust blue job and should be avoided there. I have used Thompson Center Natural Lube 1000 on the exterior of some guns because I figure anything that works so well to prevent after rust in my flintlock's bores has to be OK for plain old rain or snow. I am concerned about the anise scent spooking game on a hunting rifle though.

I was surprised the test left out RIG grease because he certainly covered most of the bases. Very good stuff for long term storage! The Hornady One Shot and Frog Lube sound like products I'd like to try. 46 products is a lot, but I understand because I have accumulated a very large amount of different penetrating oils trying to find something better than Cabot's Tasgon. Still looking.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.