I've blocked when pheasants were being driven to a fresh planted wheat field. I've shot them at obscene distances with an 1 1/4oz of 4's, using a turkey choke. And even shockingly further with heavy shot #6. I used "The Undertaker" choke tube, properly named I'm ashamed to admit, as it were.

As I said, it's obscene. It's the wrong thing to do. I am no taller, no more handsome, and my penis is no longer for having blown up birds out over open terrain at the limits of range.

In case you wonder, the shot cloud follows them like a dark softball sized cloud of bees. And then there's the "Poof", and the mostly dead bird laying out in the wheat. Sometimes pieces get sheared off. Usually just a lot of kicking.

Between the cripples, and the shredded birds, purposefully shooting at extreme ranges is wrong.

I much prefer using an ounce of 5's supplied by RST at about 1200fps. Cripples are manageable, birds aren't pulverized, and I don't feel the temptation to do the wrong thing just to stroke my ego. The shots that my reflexes, eyesight, and equipment can consistently make fit the RST loads perfectly. A nice balance of sport and harvest.

The "Undertaker" is retired, and I've grown up a great deal. part of that is accepting that I don't have to kill them all, that we aren't in a race, and that another opportunity will present itself in a sporting fashion soon enough.
As was pointed out to my by a sage old friend, "I'm just not that mad at them."

The mega long shot guys need to think about why they take those shots.

Out there doing it best I can.