You are correct Raimey.
Ass packing a pheasant at long range. while delivering a pure and succulent breast, creates a lot of runners.

A little humour, now.
I was run-off at NOBS for my far too graphic depiction of my work at a high volume tower shoot. I volunteered for the dog work. Where else can a dog get 500 pheasants shot near and around them in one glorious slaughter?

Anyway, a NOBS member of some importance said that if pheasant shooting in Britain was ever reduced to such a spectacle, he'd take his Grandfathers Purdey's to the nearest bridge, and through them off. I don't remember if he said that he would follow them.

Tower shoots always devolve to carnage. Every bird is shot multiple times. There is almost no sportsmanship involved. At the shoot I worked, we would see half the birds dead at the ring, another quarter walked up on the grounds around the ring, and the rest give or take maybe 10 out of 500, walked up on the grounds. A percentage were always too riddled for distribution, so some of the walked up birds were always frozen, so that each guest could take home the same number.

It's surprising how many guests have no interest in taking home birds, and leave immediately after the tower shoot, foregoing the walk-up. The walk-up is by far the more interesting part of the day. There were times when I walked up so many pheasants, my game bag split. 30-40-50 birds recovered in an afternoon. One benefit of it was that rounding up the escapees is a great way to instruct a kid in safe gun handling, walking in on a point, taking lollypop shots, and dispatching cripples. 20-50 repetitions is at least $500.00 worth of experience. Our birds typically were sold at $15.00 for the shoot, including a catered lunch.

On the one occasion I worked the tower, shot poured in on the tower as soon as a bird was witnessed clearing the transom. So, people were shooting at pheasants a minimum of 125 yards away. It was a tremendous act of faith to work inside a 12 foot square box with pellets bead blasting your surround.
We were told to never reach up over the rail. Just shove the bird up over the transom by quadrant as instructed. That way, excluding wind, each sector of the shoot has a similar chance of the bird gliding to their butt. We indexed two butts per 15 birds, making 2 laps of the ring. 33 butts, 15 birds/butt, you do the math.

As was pointed out to me, the guy that waits for his birds to glide in will see them exploded before him by the shooters off to each side, so, you better take them long or the other guy will.

Out there doing it best I can.