Noted second-hand BRNO Model 21s pricey, upper teens. Bought mine new nearly 65 years ago for $135. Canadian Industries Limited made a 139-grain at the time with, it says on the box, "a muzzle velocity of 2900 feet per second and a muzzle energy of 2600 foot pounds. If the rifle is sighted for 250 yards, the bullet will strike approximately 3 1/2 inches high at 125 yards, and approximately 4 1/2 low at 300 yards." Still have a couple boxes but defer now to Federal 140 because of their age.

I looked up an Outdoor Life clipping of Jack O'Connor answering a question from a hunter about the best rifle for his wife on an Alaskan hunt. "Would you recommend a .270 for such a program?" He said his slightly built wife would use it on mule deer, sheep, antelope, black bear and "perhaps even an Alaska brown bear." JO'C, the great .270 promoter, answered in a column titled "Rifle for a Woman:

"Well, if I were in your shoes, especially with an Alaska hunt in prospect, I think I would choose the 7mm. Ballistically, it is not far behind, and it has an advantage in that bullets up to 180 gr. can be used. For big bear the heaviest bullet is often the best, and in those south-east Alaska jungles one doesn't need higher velocity. The .270 is a grand cartridge but for your special purposes I think the 7mm has the edge."

Hunting in the Codroy Valley of Newfoundland, I hit a moose running down one of those steep hills with a 160 gr. handload. It more than stopped the moose in its tracks. In spite of its momentum, it instantly went straight up on its hind legs and reared over onto its back, stone dead. The bullet shattered the spine in its neck. I could go on and on about the 7mm. It's one helluva calibre.