This post regarding CIP and the Proof Houses here in Brit land has cleared up a strange event I had about three months ago. I took one of my vintage guns which has two thousands of an inch to go in each barrel before it reaches .740 and for a 12 bore that will be the end of the road unless reproofed, to a well-established gunsmiths in Cannock. Somehow the conversation went along the lines of it is not out of proof yet so I would not go to the bother of having a re-proof yet. Also dont you think it will ruin the looks of the gun having metric proof marks especially since it has a vintage set of London black powder and an early Birmingham Nitro marks though never saying the gun was not sound enough to pass proof. Talk about throwing chaff in the air, so after some further conversation it became apparent that he did not want to undertake the work even after I had reminded him that not that long ago he was very sure the gun would have no problem passing proof and in the end it would be me paying his bill. On leaving the shop I could not work out what the conversation was all about but I can now! Though I would still like the gun to have a re-proof but the way things are working out it may never happen for the foreseeable future.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!