Bill, that 11 billion figure sounds impressive, until you consider the simple fact that nobody hires an illegal at prevailing rate. Nobody. So, if the job the illegal was doing went to an American citizen, it would have paid better, and MORE would have been paid in taxes. I'm kind of tired of the argument that there are jobs Americans won't do, either, as I've met plenty of folks in the last few years who would have taken literally anything-had anything been available.
Sorry, but, we have laws for a reason. Any rational applied to easier immigration for south of the border Hispanics could also be applied to dozens of other countries all around the world-think your average Chinese peasant or North Korean would turn down a shot here in the states? If you really want a laugh, ask at a neighborhood meeting of your local Somali, Hmong, or Russian community (we got 'em all right here, in Mpls.) how they feel about Hispanic illegal immigration, and whether we are "humane" enough to them. The recent Russian immigrants I've met harbor no illusions of Hispanics, here illegally, being treated unfairly. You should hear what they have to say. It isn't humane. What, exactly, do we owe Hispanics that we don't owe Poles or Turks, for example? Make immigration fair, and have a legal procedure for all, get in line, pay the fees, and have the same treatment for all potential immigrants, period.
On another point, if you choose to open your wallet to pay more taxes, that is a nice choice, but, if I really would rather not, what choice do I have? Charity really shouldn't come with an "or else" from the IRS or the US Government. The liberals (like you) have confused true charity with US tax code, and I'd like my "Change" back, so to speak.
I'm willing to live with the notion that you consider it unfair of me to keep more of the money I make.

Best,
Ted