Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Originally Posted By: GF1
Originally Posted By: steve voss
Beauty buck & rifle. Caliber?

300 Winchester Magnum, 1941 Model 70 barreled action (originally a 30/06) rechambered and with the sight boss turned off.
And also, the safety was converted from the first style (1937-1941)to the later version, where the Safe position is at 6 o'clock and the fire position is at 3 o'clock. I have M70 SG in 30-Gov't-06 made in 1940, and the safety is set at 9 o'clock, and the fire position is at 6 o'clock- In either design, half-way the sear is blocked, but the bolt can be fully cycled- Beautiful rifle indeed, and nice to see a Military 1903- M1 Garand style leather sling, QD swivels and a black buttplate that looks like it grew out of the wood- and the best scope money can buy, due to in part their unlimited warranty (Leupold)-- what grain weight and style bullet was used to take this animal? I use nothing but Rem Core-Lokt 180 grainers in my 30-06 for both Whitetails and feral pigs here in Central MI---

Thanks for the kind words. Correct on the safety mod, as well as the built up and checkered bolt release that doesn't show in the photo, Blackburn bottom metal, new Biesen bolt handle checkered on three panels, Biesen grip cap. Sling is Brownell's Latigo, pad is .7" Pachmayr Old English Decelerator. Scope is Leupold 6x42.

Ammo was handloaded 200 grain Nosler Accubond over 70.5 gr. of IMR 4350, Fed 215 primer, Winchester cases. More than needed for even a big whitetail buck, but it's my favorite rifle, it likes that load and I had some loaded up.

Merry Christmas to all...