Originally Posted By: Tamid
This measurement is something I've never heard before. Perhaps someone i.e. Rocketman can explain. Thanks.

"unmounted swing effort and mounted swing effort"

Happy to explain, David. The set of numbers I named is to gun handling as stock measurements are to gun fit; an objective description or specification. Each number tells you something about the relationship between gun and shooter. Just as there is no summative number for stock fit dimensions, there is no summative factor for handling. The concept of a gun possessing "balance" is a red herring. The set of handling numbers need to be used together.

Weight tells of the effort needed to lift and carry the gun and how much recoil it will soak up. Balance (teeter-totter point to (front) trigger), along with hand spread, tells how the gun's weight will be proportioned between the shooters hands. Unmounted swing effort is the moment of inertia at the balance point of the gun. It tells you the amount of effort required to change the direction the gun is pointing. Weight and balance do not yield this number; it must be measured, for which purpose I have a handy-dandy little device. Mounted swing effort is the same type number but is calculated for the gun if rotating around the butt. Once MOI at balance (center of gravity) is known, MOI at any point on the gun can be calculated.

Does that sufficiently answer your question? If you care to ask questions or discuss further, post back and we will discuss to your delight.

DDA