I beg to differ, Sir. I at present own 7 pre-1946 Smith guns, all are 12 gauge, four are graded guns made prior to 1912, the OO or field grade is the exception in the rogue's gallery--- the "youngest" is a Ideal Grade made in 1945 (came with factory tag) 26" DT, Ejectors, which I bought from a Sagola Gun Club member in June 2010 (after a 1927 era Parker 12 gauges GHE 'went South' on me at a SC shoot)- the oldest is a Grade 3 with Damascus barrels and first series ejectors made in 1892- My favorites are- the OO 12 "barnyard" gun- DT, Ext 28" F&F, and my Grade 2 30" M&F DT made in 1911-

I shoot all of them year-round-= barn pigeons, crows, starlings, plus bird hunting- etc. and occasional SC- None have oil soaked stock heads- due to care and diligence on both my part, and care and diligence on that of the previous owners as well. All 12 gauge Smiths (except the LONG RANGE and WILDFOWL series mid-1920's--production I believe had std. 2&3/4" chambering- I use 1150 fps. loads, AA, Rem, and my favorite RST loads- not a problem-

I should add here that all of these "Sweet Elsies" have std. double triggers, the older ones have 3 position safties- Sweet trigger pulls, reliable ejectors (not like on the Parkers) and fit me exceedingly well-

One man's meat is another man's malt-o-meal I guess, bit I am a Smith man from "Who laid de rails", and so was Dr. Charles C. Norris, before he got into the Purdey realm- friend of the late George B. Evans- not too shabby company I should think!!

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 02/04/15 10:19 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..