My only desire for a 28 is pure Nostalgia. First shotgun i ever shot was a 28, a lowly H&R single. I do not know what loads I shot from it but I killed two rabbits with two shots that day. It belonged to an Uncle of mine by marriage (To my mother's Sister). Later in life I asked him if he would sell it to me but he refused, had been his Dad's gun & was saving it for his Grandson, which I couldn't fault him for that. He did loan it to me for a while so I could shoot it again. Only 28 gauge shells which were available to me at the time were "High Brass" with 3/4 oz shot. While I had it I weighed it & it went 4¼ lbs exactly, was one of the small frame H&R's. I can tell you one thing for certain; 3/4 oz of shot @ 1295 fps from a 4¼ lb gun "OUTKICKS" 1 oz of shot @ 1165 fps from a 6 lb gun & it don't matter what size the hole in the barrel is.
All this about the "Magic" of the 28 shooting Better Patterns, Shorter Shot Strings Etc, Etc because of its (So Called) "SQUARE" load is the biggest Malarkey that's ever been published in the shotgun world. Unless one wants, & can find, a sub 5lb 28 the 20 will beat it hands down on every count. The only Truly Good thing which can be said about the 28 s that it is better than a .410.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra