Originally Posted By: Dewey Vicknair
...I'm sorry that it's not something more exotic or more of a PITA to apply. What it is is hard and skin tight with exactly the right sheen.

Dewey thank you for your "clearing the air" a little. I for one just can't believe you would use an off the shelf finish when you could mix your own concoction of Toluene, Acetone, Ethyl acetate, Isopropyl alcohol, and petroleum distillates! I'm joking of course. I know I'm sometimes guilty of it and think a lot of others are in that we tend to over-romanticize gun finishes and application methods. Firearms Bluing & Browning by Angier probably has a hand in this...

All of these long gone gun factories were in business to make money just like any business today. Wouldn't they have used standard off the shelf or industrial products that were available at the time?

I've stolen the picture below from a post on NitroExpress.com. The rifle was being built by Holland & Holland...

is that four little brown bottles of Birchwood Casey products I see? Looks like there are a few bottles of CCL finish as well. Huh and this whole time I thought H&H only used a proprietary and mysterious blend of Alkanet root soaked linseed oil.