This shows that doing a search of a private sellers name, before sendng them a check should be made. Better yet send Postal money orders and use the Postmaster in cause of frauds. Lots of troubling information on people out there for the finding. I also would have called a couple people I know in the area for their off the record thoughts. But not everyone has local contacts. And people will speak freer than they will answer a text type message.

Back when I was still collecting Winchester Model 70's I was hot to buy a very rare gun from an unknown to me seller. This was pre Internet days. Three calls to local, to him, gun clubs and one to the local sherif set off every alarm bell in my head. So I passed. Heard later three other buyers were not so lucky and all failed to get money returned. Seller seemed to skip town every two or three years and not return until statue of limitations lapsed. Back in those days it was far easier to move away and just disappear. There were no web searches or other easy means of finding people when they moved and left no forwarding address. I hope you stick with it and you get your money back.