Thanks everyone.

Joe,

No doubt American Black is a somewhat simpler process. The Bonehill twist barrels actually took many more cycles than the damascus ones in order to bring out the contrast. I suspect the Model 1891 was a less expensive gun than their previous models (due to McKinley Tariff) and used less-expensive barrels. The shading is also much more subtle. I colored them brown due to my machinist's preference, it's possible the gun was originally finished in Black & White for the American market.

Doug,

I suspect the high polish is somewhat overkill due to the etches involved. I've gone to a very aggressive initial etch as per the Parker Process, and with at least three additional mild etches I'm fairly sure the ultra fine sanding is not necessary on pattern welded tubes like it is on fluid steel. I also use the maroon ScotchBrite pad for final burnishing before the initial etch, and it's considerably finer than 400 grit.

In my experience, blotches are caused by the initial rusting solution being too weak. It is important to use a solution with a strong initial "Bite" for even color coverage. The important thing that goes along with this is a very aggressive initial carding, almost to the point of complete removal, but leaving no visible flaws. Even under magnification. This provides the "Base" for all the additional cycles, preventing flaws, especially along the top rib, from developing.

I'm getting ready to do another member's Lang barrels shortly, I'm confident my process will "Do them Justice".

There are still three patterns out there that I admire, yet haven't had a chance to do yet. They are Etoile B.P., Chain (Chainette) and Bernard. I'd like to do them for my portfolio. If anyone has a set they'd like done, I'd do them at a very reasonable price. Of course, all others are welcome as well.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.