Originally Posted By: gunut
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

There is something about handling a Nitro Special that makes me want to go shooting!

They do handle nicely especially in the sub gauges but look so damn clunky .... the Ithaca Lefever A grade, a lipsticked up version of the same gun, is has much nicer fit and finish .....and the sub gauge Hunter Arms made [hammerless] Fulton handles like a dream and is very nicely fit/finished despite it odd action design....all these red headed step children from the major manufacturers if not abused or shot to hell can take you on a real nostalgic trip,.... if you let them....

I really should have noted subgauge with the Nitro point. But, I was a 30 year old guy once upon a time, and THAT guy didn't care if it was a 12 or a 16 or a 20.
But, I do, now. Either I've evolved (doubtful!) or grown less resistant to gravity. Or, a little of both.

Not pretty, indeed. But, useful, humble, durable, relevent, and usable in the game. Beyond good value in pricing. Something honest in the use of a gun like that, but, I'm not poetic enough to spell it out in readable form.

I think it is OK to like good, and, not so great, doubles.

Thanks for pointing out the very correct notion that a subgauge is sweetest.

Best,
Ted