I have set silently through 10 pages of this discussion so will now add my worth. Is Mr V correct about the top lever being a poor design, Absolutely. The cocking cranks ???. Does he have the right to refuse to work on one if he chooses not to, Absolutely. Would his choice not to work on on influence my decision to own & shoot one Absolutely NO, I can (& Have) taken some of the contrary things apart & put them back together without damage to either me or them.
Do I like an L C Smith, Yes, just happen to like Lefevers better so currently do not own a Smith. (Have in the past)
Given the choice between a Smith & comparable grade & condition A&D Boxlock which would "I" choose. The Smith Every time.
Why; I guess there truly is no accounting for taste. I just like sidelocks better & Yes I am fully aware hat my chosen Lefevers are not true sidelocks but the have the features of one which make them desirable to me.
Might say that Yes I agree with everything Dewey said but bottom line is I'm sorta like the old Owl, I Don't Really Give a Hoot.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra