Originally Posted By: ed good
foxie: much of this thread is a discussion of the pros and cons of pre ww2 era classic american made sxs shotguns, which is the topic of much of askin's book...perhaps it is you who should bugger off?
Ed, I am a welder by trade, and thanks to my grandfather and father, both master machinists, I know metallurgy and metal fabricating techniques.I know that anytime you or some other NE based idiot also named Ed use an oxy-fuel torch, with a neutral flame temp. at the cone of almost 6000 degrees F--to 're-case-color (or colour if you are fucking-up a British made double gun I suppose, that indeed, you don't know shit from Shinola about double guns and the gunsmithing skills required to properly care for them. The shotguns of the Askins era are not up to handling the shotgun shells of today's mass marketing ammo companies, with the exception of the RST shells, made for lower pressures and chambers less than 2.75" inches. One of many reasons my 5 LC Smith 12 gauge guns are in first class workig order is that I only shoot RST shells in them.The other reason is that I bought them over the past 20 years from private owners- men who, like me, believe in "wear with care" and would never be a customer/client of Doug Turnbull or the DelGrego clan, because they believe, as I do, that "restoration" of a fine older double with careful usage wear allowed for, is th vade mecum--abd Askins was not a gunsmith, he was a gun writer, ditto Curtis- they could have cared less about gun repair/restoration, they were rich and had qualified gunmakers at their command. Bugger on!!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..