Originally Posted By: Dewey Vicknair
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Originally Posted By: Dewey Vicknair
Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Dewey;
I have springs on items from the 1850's thru 1870's (Not gun related) which are I believe called convolute springs. These springs are wound in a cone shape from flat stock much like a clock spring. They however work by compression & not by winding up as in a clock spring. So, what action would you call them, I see absolutely no evidence of torsional movement as they are compressed & this should show on the wide, thin cross section if it were present.

Now we're into some different stuff! What you're referring to are called "volute" springs. These are basically a very thin "beam" wound into a spiral coil. When compressed, one "side" (it's wound in a spiral) is placed in compression while the opposing side is placed in tension, thus mimicking beam loading but not in a planar fashion.

Please don't quote my posts and then modify them so that the results appear to be my words.

I have nothing at all against the French, for the record.
Sorry, le faux pas es moi, mon ami. I have midget respect for the French en tot, their metallurgists and some of their non-miltary gun makers like Granger-- I recall what America's best field General- George Smith Patton Jr. once said about the French- "I'd rather have one French division ahead of me that 3 French divisions behind me"--and Patton spoke fluent French-go figure

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 11/04/15 09:38 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..