Annie was working a mixture of Multiflora Roses and Reed Canary Grass. I couldn't see her, but could track her progress by her bell and the movement from the tops of the grass.
After her bell went quiet and the grass quit moving, I waited. I was about to throw a rock into the tangle when Annie bolted out the cover and ran along the edges for about 20 yards and then dove into the heavy stuff, but this time she was coming to me.
Her bell sounded for a few seconds and then all was quiet and I could see her head and shoulders in the Multiflora Roses. She was in a classic pointing stance, left leg up and what I could see of her body was stretched out towards the hidden bird, but this time she facing the opposite direction from her original point. Our eyes met and we had an instant understanding.
As I stood there with a smile on my face the rooster cackled and went airborne. I shot and the bird folded, dead in the air.
I asked Annie to fetch and as soon as I said it I knew there was going to be a problem. The fence that she had to go through is a very tight 7 strand barbed wire fence with only about 6" of space between the wires.
She was able to get through the fence and scooped up the bird. Getting back was difficult with the bird in her mouth. She manage and added a few more rips to her vest, delivering the bird to me with tail buzzing.
Annie was not just hunting, but " Hunting To The Gun, " the epitome of a working bird dog.
We will have the rooster and one of his buddies for Thanksgiving and Annie will get a taste.

Jim