Good Morning,
I recently traded into a 20 GA Browning BSS. The gun has 28" tubes, IC/Mod fixed chokes, single none selective trigger, 2 3/4" or 3" chambers.

The person I got it from seemed to feel it was an early production gun and had owned it for quite some time, he also felt the chokes had been opened prior to his getting it from Mod/full to IC/Mod. So I went to check the serial number (all numbers match) and that is where the questions arose.

Everything I can find on the Browning site and other sites indicated that there will be either a 2 letter code or a single letter (indicating 12 ga or 20 ga)followed by two digits which are the year of production. So far so good. Mine has 64XXB57. This is where the issue arises since they didn't start making the 20 GA BSS until the early 1970's (1972 I beleive) so it obviously cannot have been built in 1957.

Now there is a good chance I am have or am overlooking something obvious and if so I apologize but I thought I would check here next to see if there are any Browning collectors out there that can shed some light on when this gun was built?

Thanks....
WBLDon