Went on a bob white hunt yesterday. Hunted on the Salt Fork of the Red River and on one of its tributary creeks. Went by myself as my shooting student Joe Wood wouldn't get up early enough for us to leave at 6:00AM. And we needed to get there early to beat the heat.

I made one seven hour walk. I hunted eight year old Red and twelve month old Jazzy. We moved ten coveys, knocked down fourteen birds, bagged twelve. Had a lot of dog work; pointed coveys, pointed singles, good finds on dead and wounded birds, retrieves, and ground tracking of coveys and singles. Scenting conditions were good.

My baby, twelve month old Jazzy, found and busted a covey and found and pointed three more coveys. She had some single points and had several great finds on wounded and dead birds. She backs and sometimes retrieves the bird to hand.

Eight year old Red had a good day. He has mastered his job. A few times he ground tracked coveys for a hundred yards or so. He is excellent at finding dead and wounded birds.

Both dogs are French Brittany Spaniels, as are my other three.

By hunting around the creek and the river I didn't have to carry water for the dogs. I only intended to hunt till Noon but I just couldn't quit. I was hungry and thirsty by the time I got back to the truck. I hadn't carried enough water for me for seven hours.

There are no feeders on this lease, and hardly any roads. It is about 3,000 acres with several miles of river and creek.

The old FN did a good job for me, 12 ga., 6-1/4 pounds, 27-1/2 barrels, cylinder and full, double triggers, 14-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 2-1/2. I love the sling.

I got to the scene late but, based on the wind direction, I think Jazzy had the point and Red stumbled on her and backed. Jazzy is on the right.

Red retrieving a bird. You can see how high the cover is. That is a GPS collar. Neither dog hunted with a training collar.

Jazzy on point.

And Jazzy on point again (in broomweed)

There are seven birds in the picture, Jazzy is responsible for some of them.

I am glad to be here.