Originally Posted By: KY Jon
About ten years ago all my cousins decided to do a deer drive. I asked them to do it on one of my farms. There are three sections of woods, marsh separates them on the small peninsula the farm sits on. River to the back , open field cover the front two thirds. They drove two sections of woods which forced the deer into the fields as they ran from wood to woods. The brighter cousin pointed out that they had killed 21 deer after two sections and maybe they ought not drive the third.

After a few beers they kind of agreed. They drove the last section but did not shoot anymore deer. Now the number of deer goes up every year but the smartest and most likely most correct cousin counted over sixty deer that flameout of here. They were busy until well after dark dealing with all the deer they harvested. I got two tenderloins and the farmer got a lot less deer to feed the next year. Deer drives can be very effective but it took 20 people to make it work and then the real work started.

Jon, does Maryland issue deer depredation permits to farmers who have excessive crop damage?

I know exactly how your farmer feels about being happy to see 21 deer gone.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.