Mills, those are mighty fine portraits of your sons and hanging quail. Nice "working" decoy, too.
The rest of the story of Monday’s hunt: Floyd drove his truck and took Clark. Sadie was left home in favor of his old dog Snap (12) and Pop, both Brittanies. We met and split up with Billy, Abby, Willa and I going in one direction and Floyd, Snap, Pop and Clark another direction. During the hunt, each group could hear the other shoot as we were not more than half mile apart. Clark and Floyd ended up with 5 birds. Snap is as deaf as a post and can’t hear commands or a whistle. He has to round her up by virtue of a gps collar. Several times yesterday, he found her on point. The “group” photo is the total bag for four hunters. It is a painful thing to hear shotgun blasts when you aren’t in the birds at the time. wink For lunch, I cooked two birds on my homemade “vertical roaster”. Temperature over 500 degrees for 10 minutes yielded medium rare birds, olive oil coated, salted and peppered. There are more elaborate ways to cook woodcock, but they would be hard pressed to be that much better than what I had for lunch at noon today.