It has been shown repeatedly that, all things being equal, damascus is every bit as strong and usable as the steel of the time, sometimes rather better!
When you buy a late 1800's gun with steel barrels do you crack test them? I suspect not, yet the steel barrels that predate Whitworth's fluid steel process were no better than the damascus they were competing with.
The big advantage of damascus is that IF it bursts, it tends to 'birdcage' ie unravels along the weld joints, rather than turning into a hand-grenade as does steel.
I am perpetually amazed at what damascus will put up with. I have successfully reproofed damascus guns down to 0.014" MWT (not that I would recommend it but the gun had to be in proof to export and it was a family heirloom).
And I regularly successfully nitro reproof damascus down to 0.020" MWT and below. Rivelling is the big problem, not bursting.
I often wonder if the occasional stories that one hear of burst barrels are more to do with poor homeloads, obstructions in barrels and distracted shooters not checking their barrels between shots. And suddenly it is all the fault of the gun not the stupid a*** shooter.