Thank you for restating that explanation, Miller. I agree that this detonation could very well have been the cause of those barrel destructions.

One thing I do not quite understand, tho', is your comparison between the burning rates of smokeless powders and black powder. If what you stated is true, it must have something to do with being confined, because smokeless powders of today, when burned in an unconfined condition, burns MUCH slower than black powder.

When I was actively competing in BP rifle and shotgun matches I would occasionally participate in a "mini-seminar" for civic organizations, SCV chapters, shooting ranges, etc. We would basically just give a brief explanation of black powder and how it should be used, stored and handled in regard to firearms. One part of our demonstration was a burning rate demonstration, in which we poured a small "stream" of each in a little trough that had been routed into a 1" x 6" x 10' board. The end of the line of each was lit, and you watched as it burned the length of the 10' board. In a nutshell, the smokeless burned, at a constant but fairly slow rate. When the black was lit, in a flash it was all burnt and gone, instantaneously. For visual understanding of what we did, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXGkJkdvoIc

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.