I hope it is clear that I/we are trying to help individuals make informed and rational decisions as to the use of ANY vintage barrel, Pattern Welded, Decarbonized or Fluid Steel, and the loads that might be appropriate. We all recognize that the man pulling the trigger is ultimately responsible for subsequent events. If we only shoot/hunt alone, we can use whatever shotgun and load we wish (if legal).
But most of us shoot clay targets with others, and hunt with a friend, son, grandson or granddaughter. We must ask ourselves what will be our explanation should a piece of shrapnel from our gun pierce the skull of a friend or grandson, leaving them paralyzed, mute, and bedridden the rest of his not-much-of-a life? And what is our plan to pay for the lost wages, pain & suffering, and life-time care?
Sorry to be a downer, but this is reality, esp. if we choose to use something "proven to be intrinsically dangerous". And I bet ol' Randy on ShotgunWorld would be happy to testify in the civil trial, which you WILL lose if no effort was made to determine the integrity of that Pattern Welded barrel.