Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
I hope it is clear that I/we are trying to help individuals make informed and rational decisions as to the use of ANY vintage barrel, Pattern Welded, Decarbonized or Fluid Steel, and the loads that might be appropriate. We all recognize that the man pulling the trigger is ultimately responsible for subsequent events. And I bet ol' Randy on ShotgunWorld would be happy to testify in the civil trial, which you WILL lose if no effort was made to determine the integrity of that Pattern Welded barrel.

Exactly right Rev,
At the end where you say "pattern welded barrels", it should say the same as the beginning of you post, "ANY vintage barrel". To throw caution to the wind is irresponsible and just plain stupid. Just about as stupid as saying all damascus barrels are dangerous. Anyone who would not use calculated caution should probable find another hobby.

In all my vintage guns, steel or damascus, I shoot <6k psi in my 12's and <7K in my 20's. Except the Sterly. I have shot 8.2k in the damascus 20 and I'm comfortable with the results.
Barrels were checked by a competent smith for thickness. Most of my self imposed parameters have come from reading your works.

My boy means more to me than anything. Would I let him shoot my Damascus 20 or shoot skeet when I am shooting it? You bet! I feel I have done my due diligence with respect to my barrels.
Read, minimal, calculated risk.

Last edited by ithaca1; 02/01/16 05:20 PM.

Bill Johnson