My traveling kit that has saved me a ton of grief. I generally only use it when I'm very serious about the gun. However, I have also frequently been asked by dealers and others to measure their guns.

I will never forget a wonderful bird gun I was all lathered up to buy......until my wall thickness gauge found one barrel was only .010! I politely asked the dealer if he wanted to know my findings and he quietly said "no".

Case is from a bar-b-que set that I stripped out everything and fit the tools into foam cut out to hold everything securely.

Tools include a bore gauge, wall thickness gauge, fish scales, measuring tape, chamber gauges, magnifying glasses, note pad, machinists 6" rule, snap caps, and a few other miscellaneous things.

One other tool needs a bit of explanation. I also carry a 3" piece of 1/2" brass rod. I slide it down a barrel, hold the gun vertical and snap it. The firing pin should make the rod jump nicely. If it doesn't there is a possibility the firing pin is broken or some other gremlin is lurking in the darkness. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 02/13/16 01:35 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)