==================================================================================================
1847 - Reilly and the 5000 SN gap

I've looked at a lot of JC and EM Reilly pistols. There are a number of pistols labeled JC Reilly using variations of the Holborn address and Reilly using variations of the Oxford Street address. The early ones are percussion pistols..later ones included double-barrel, four barrel, pepper-boxes, and revolvers of various types. Some have Birmingham proof marks; others are clearly marketed from Tanter or Colt, even Smith and Wesson.

Most have no Reilly serial numbers (even when coupled with the Holborn or Oxford Street addresses). But a couple do...and they are so evidently early JC Reilly, Holborn manufacture and they seem to fit so well into the serial number narrative that it may be that some pistols were indeed numbered and were included in the very early Reilly serial number chronology,

One of the most important pairs with a very early 3 digit serial number 176 - if these pistols followed the long-gun Reilly format for numbering - and they look very much like it should be so - was just sold by Terry Buffum. In fact, of the three of four SN's with "Holborn Bars" imprinted on them when he was at 12 Middle row, 1814-1835), three are pistols. Did did Reilly really start out making mostly pistols?

I've added a couple above...with the designation "pistol" so that it will be clear. There are markers for these early Reilly pistols...rounded butts, engraving etc.

And there is a significant gap between the last Holborn address/serial number (3329 - 1847 at the latest) and the first confirmed Oxford Street address (SN 8463 - 1847 at the earliest- and which has "Removed from Holborn" in the label on the case). It seems to me that EM and JC Reilly would be unlikely to continue to use "removed from Holborn" for more than a couple of years after the move.

This gap needs more data to investigate why this happened. At least one writer asserted that EM took over JC's numbering system upon transfer to Oxford Street about SN 8400, which may mean Edward just jumped up the queue by 5,000 numbers, maybe to make the firm look more substantial or to distance himself from Guns JC made which were not numbered.

There are "mystery" percussion rifles and shotguns out there with the Reilly name and the Oxford Street address but with no reported serial numbers. (the pistols at least by 1847 don't have serial numbers worth looking into). Surely there are guns that could solve this "Bermuda Triangle" gap of some 5,000 "missing" serial numbers... i.e. 1847 - 1855 plus or minus. this could have huge repercussions on dating...i.e. 84** numbers move back from 1855 to 1847-50 time frame.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/11/18 12:26 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch