I'm thinking that 6s are needed at anything past about 80 yards. You may get some breaks at 85-90 with 7 1/2s, but not reliably..

I disagree with your statement, Mike, about luck playing such a big part past 70 yards that anybody can win. I've shot a good many of these deals, and I've never seen a novice win yet. Most of the time, if they get up enough nerve to even try it, they never hit a bird out of 10 tries. Usually you get 10 shots for the money, sometimes 5 pairs. The young guys with tens of thousands of registered targets each year usually win. Us old guys get it right every now and then and beat them. A blind man might get lucky and hit one, but what wins is the most breaks out of 10. Nobody is that lucky. I love to see the kids shoot well ...... Congratulations to your grandson, tudurgs. Mine oldest is 13, too, and is a good shot as well.

As to the question about presentations, usually there will be a high chondelle, or a high arcing target thrown flat. Occasionally there will be a true pair and you will shoot five pairs. Once at a State Shoot there was a pair of trap targets going up and away. The traps were set at about 45-50 yards from the box, with a lot of spring. You had to try the first bird under power (climbing hard) and then the other would be about to top out and begin dropping at about 80-90. You had to shoot way under it to intercept it as it fell. I got dialed in on them and won that one.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.