As DaveK said earlier, he and J.R.B. informed me of Doug's passing yesterday morning. We exchanged multiple PM's sharing our grief and discussing how best to pay our respects to this great guy. Those of us who knew him and corresponded with him via PM's, e-mail, and telephone knew Doug was a tough man with firm convictions. As Stan said, he would not want us making a big fuss over him. But the sad news is out and really, there are not enough words to describe him.

Doug was a true patriot and Military Veteran and served his country proudly. He was a staunch defender of the Constitution, and especially the Second Amendment. By the quality of his workmanship, one would think he was a full-time professional Gunsmith and member of the ACGG rather than a commercial airlines pilot. He not only shared pictures of his work here, but for those with an appreciation of it, he would also gladly share priceless advice. Many here don't know it, but when Tony Treadwell was suffering from his terminal illness, Doug was tutoring him from half way around the world because he knew how much Tony loved working on guns and how it kept his mind busy and occupied at a time when most men would be fearful and feeling sorry for themselves. Our tough as nails friend had a very kind and compassionate side, and a great sense of humor. Like canvasback, I am also kicking myself for not making the time to personally meet Doug. He had called and invited me to stay at his place so we could go to the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show. As I recall, he said the daily trip from his place to Vegas would only take about an hour because he'd be driving 90 to 100 mph. I was not able to arrange the time off work, and said maybe next year. Makes you stop and think about how we stack our priorities. Work is still here and a friend is gone.

As I went through the day yesterday, I was struck by a deep sense of loss, and never thought I could feel this way about someone I had never personally met. Doug and his family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.