I am fully aware of the tungsten/small shot/dense swarm story, and I also know it is lethal in small gauges, but I just think the .410 package is carrying it out to the fringe. One or two small twigs or a very light bush such as a scraggly huckleberry and a few catbriars that you hardly notice can deflect that tiny load.

Anyone who shoots a 12 ga. 3 1/2" load for turkeys is wasting money, shot, and suffering undue recoil, not to mention lugging around that cannon. You can also bet he's taking 55-60 yd. shots because that's either as close as he can get him, or he's so full of blood lust or worry about the other guy getting the turkey, he just shoots and hopes.

Personally, I use a Beretta 686 Onyx (matte) w/28" bbls. and two standard Mobilchoke full chokes, with 2 3/4" 12 ga. WW Supreme Extended Range #5 shot, and don't shoot at a gobbler past 35 yds, with most being killed inside 30 yds.

I also abhor the use of a decoy in a green patch or opening. Decoys are for those who don't know how to call and lack the woodsmanship necessary to get in place and get the turkey to come inside 35 yds. It's about fooling him, not killing him any way you can. Decoys are the worst thing that's ever happened to turkey hunting.

The 20 gauge with the new tungsten loads should be easy enough in a gas auto (Beretta A400 w/Kick-Off) for anyone to shoot, and is worlds ahead of a .410. A 3" 20 with 1 1/4 oz. of 7 1/2 tungsten would be my smallest recommendation, but y'all let your conscience be your guide.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 03/31/16 06:19 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.