Originally Posted By: trw999
Well done on the research Argo44. I too am a veteran, British Army.

I often toddle off to the British Library to look up old shooting journals such The Field, Arms & Explosives, The Sporting Goods Review. Let me know if you'd like me to look up any particular issue.

Tim

==================================================================================================
1814-1833 - Reilly as a Jeweler, Silverplate

Tim....here is something I'm still working on. JC Reilly's background as a "jeweler." I think he was a silver plate worker...explains his engraving skills..and probably why the lawyers and country gentlemen brought guns to him...i.e. to be engraved. Here is a post I modified:

1819 - He entered a makers mark at Goldsmiths Hall in 1819 as a plateworker from 12 Middle Row, Holborn. (Note: I've been unable to verify this; there is a John C. Reilly from 1818-20 with a silver maker's mark; Plate would seem to indicate he worked in silver. Every goldsmith's mark is registered but I have difficulty navigating the site. Somebody in London might research this.)

If you're ever in London, would be interested in that mark..if it exists. And if it exists, any examples of "silver" he engraved which might be extant. It would be interesting to compare his "jeweler" engravings to his gun engravings.

Last edited by Argo44; 09/11/18 05:40 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch