Originally Posted By: cpa
....My whole discussion was based on disagreement with the comment that the force required to move a 1oz. load in a smaller gauge was greater than in a larger gauge. You have agreed that is the case.

I thought this was settled up front? It did get a little convoluted when the word pounds was comingled in different applications.

I think we agree that it takes some force to distort shot. Earlier high speed photos show not only shot stringing, but, as pointed out, flyers that left the shot string, regardless of choke. Maybe meaning that something happened to the integrity of some spheres before they cleared the barrel.

As to pellet packaging in a shell, we know what happens when all the pellets are squished together with no voids, it behaves like a single bullet. It's easy to look up how spheres like to align themselves. Chances are, if the force on them is equal as you mention, then the total distortion to the shot in any form will be equal. As the good doc mentioned pages ago, spheres that have a higher percentage of their surface area damaged are less likely to fly true. Maybe the spheres that have less points contacting them will have all of the force created distortion concentrated on those lesser contact points. The doc made a very generous offer to run tests for a fee, but he already offered foregone conclusions for free.