I thought I had made a post on this earlier this AM, then had to leave. It's not here so obviously didn't go.
Based on figures in an old Hercules loaders manual for a shot of unknown size or hardness the give .288 Cu In as the volume of 1 oz of shot. In a 12ga bore of .729" this gives a column length of .690", in a .550" dia 28 ga a length of 1.212" or 75.7% longer.
Now if you truly believe that Force, Mass & Acceleration is the total story, then drop 23 grains of Red Dot in a 28ga hull, put on necessary wadding & top it with 1 oz of shot & a good tight crimp & Touch'er Off in an old decrepit gun of dubious quality, folks have been doing it for years in 12 gauges & after all the Force is the same, the Mass is the same so Acceleration should be the same. Only difference is a matter of applying it over .2376 sq inches of bore rather than.4174 sq in. After trying this simple little experiment "IF" you still have fingers to type with & can see the keyboard report your findings back to us.
The "inertial" resistance to being moved incidentally is the same in the 1oz 28 gauge load Per Sq In as it is a 1 3/4oz 12ga load for they have essentially the same column length.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra