Well, I dont have a photo of the one I missed Friday a week ago or the gobbler I passed on at 25 yards Tuesday because I couldnt be sure he wasnt a hen or jake that could have been traveling with blabber mouth who I dearly wanted to depart with me on the trip home. It was old blabbermouth but he was screened by too many saplings and leaves to be sure. Until I heard him gobble and leave, drumming. . Instead, here are a few photos of lowcountry things seen in the woods today. At every blackwater creek bridge was a large lizard about 6-7 feet long. Not huge, but enough size to remind me why I dont run my dogs near watercourses during the spring, summer and fall.

75 mm solid egg laid by a Sherman probably WWII and later era.

I think this 75 mm Sherman egg might be fused. If so, I wouldnt want to be around for the hatch:

Another variety. This area must have been an old tank range. Its not off limits or considered an UXO area. The old Vietnam era gunship ranges are another matter. The woods are littered with unexploded rocket grenade heads and are off limits.

On the edge of a drop zone was a field full of flowering pitcher plants, true carnivores of the plant world. A flys Little Shop of Horrors: