I owe that "wisdom" to your input, Raimey. That and living to nearly 75 years has taught me to be very careful at auctions. This was the first one operated by the Amish folks, out of Clare, MI-very well run, 4 rings- plus I learned more about older Winchesters while perusing the table where almost 50 shotguns and rifles (.22 and center fire as well)- from a few older gents who were detailing all the points of non-originality on some Model 94 and Model 62 and 1906 rifles. Day well spent, and my 401K is still intact.

FWIW- about 2 years ago- summer outside auction with a few good ticket gun items, the key point was a VH 16 gauge Parker, which sold for $1100 to a young Amish lad who was next to me in the bidding. About 1912 vintage 30" DT, Ext- 50% wood and metal 20% case colors-- I dropped out at $700- as I had checked it out during the inspection hour- It was a 12 gauge (I always carry snap caps and a choke gauge and a Stanley 6 ft. tape rule to gun shows and auctions-- 30" F&F 12- not a 16 as the tag indicated. The strange "rest of the story" was, the lad turned to a friend and said- Great- I just bought a full case of 16 gauge shotshells at a yard sale last week, and now I have a shotgun to shoot them with. Alas- stay well!! Der Fuchs

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..