The lead in the water is still there - in the sediments and largely not an issue as it becomes buried under more sediments. It's not lead in the water, it's lead in the ducks and a constant rain of lead into wetlands was pretty effective at poisoning them. Once the lead rain stopped the problem has largely abated. I posted a link on this topic a while back to estimates of how many birds this is saving us so that hunters can hunt them. Find the link and read for yourself.

And just to cut off the normal follow up howls of dispute, there are many many many studies, not one, that finds that lead was a major problem in wetlands.

As for the one study in CA, I don't know what you are talking about or how it applies to this. Shit happens. So, somewhere out there is one study that has some ugly baggage. Does that discredit all science for all time?

I don't know much about leaded gas issues, but it's not the same issue as lead shot. I know a little bit about the latter, enough not to confuse the two.

For those that care, the topic of lead shot has been hashed many many times. You can search out those threads easily. The facts haven't changed.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]